Make sure you meet the basic requirements before applying for your Ohio Concealed Handgun License:
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- You must be an Ohio resident for at least 45 days.
- You must be a resident of your home county for at least 30 days.
Have a passport-sized (2" x 2") color photo taken within 30 days of your application date.
Most sheriff departments will also accept a good quality color photo taken with a digital camera and printed on a color printer.
Call the sheriff's office to make an appointment to apply for your license
Take your documents to the sheriff's office and apply for your license. As part of your application, you must:
- Present your completed application, Certificate of Competency (or documentation of equivalent experience), and passport-sized color photo.
- Present a valid photo I.D., such as your driver's license.
- Bring a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like the license mailed to you.
- Pass a criminal background check and mental competency check.
- Submit to having your fingerprints electronically scanned or inked and rolled onto a card.
- Attest that you have read the Attorney General's pamphlet on Ohio's concealed carry laws.
- Pay a non-refundable fee by cash, money order, or certified check made payable to your sheriff's office. The fee is $67.00 if you have been an Ohio resident for more than five years, $77.00 if less than five years.
Do NOT bring a firearm with you when applying for or picking up your license.
If you have ever been prohibited from having a weapon under ORC Section 2923.125, you must provide court documentation granting relief for disability.
Applications taken by appointment only.
(days and times may vary)
For more information or to make an appointment contact:
Deputy Dendak - 330-627-2141
(effective September 10, 2015)
For your convenience, click on the following link for the State of Ohio Concealed Carry Laws Manual and Application for License to Carry a Concealed Handgun.